Also called: Database Administrator (DBA), Database Analyst, Database Coordinator, Information Systems Manager
What they do:Administer, test, and implement computer databases, applying knowledge of database management systems. Coordinate changes to computer databases. May plan, coordinate, and implement security measures to safeguard computer databases.
On the job, you would:
- Test programs or databases, correct errors, and make necessary modifications.
- Plan, coordinate and implement security measures to safeguard information in computer files against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification or disclosure.
- Modify existing databases and database management systems or direct programmers and analysts to make changes.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- figuring out how to use new ideas or things
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
- see hidden patterns
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base management system software
Web platform development software
Development environment software