Telecommunications Engineering Specialists
Also called: Consultant, Network Technician, Telecommunication Engineer, Telecommunications Consultant
What they do:Design or configure voice, video, and data communications systems. Supervise installation and post-installation service and maintenance.
On the job, you would:
- Communicate with telecommunications vendors to obtain pricing and technical specifications for available hardware, software, or services.
- Keep abreast of changes in industry practices and emerging telecommunications technology by reviewing current literature, talking with colleagues, participating in educational programs, attending meetings or workshops, or participating in professional organizations or conferences.
- Implement or perform preventive maintenance, backup, or recovery procedures.
- customer service
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Operating system software
Electronic mail software
Network monitoring software