Computer Network Architects
Network Analyst, Network and Security Engineer, Network Consultant, Solutions Architect
What they do:Design and implement computer and information networks, such as local area networks (LAN), wide area networks (WAN), intranets, extranets, and other data communications networks. Perform network modeling, analysis, and planning, including analysis of capacity needs for network infrastructures. May also design network and computer security measures. May research and recommend network and data communications hardware and software.
On the job, you would:
- Develop or recommend network security measures, such as firewalls, network security audits, or automated security probes.
- Develop disaster recovery plans.
- Monitor and analyze network performance and reports on data input or output to detect problems, identify inefficient use of computer resources, or perform capacity planning.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- use rules to solve problems
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Web platform development software
- Google Angular
- Spring Framework
Instant messaging software
Network monitoring software
- Symantec Intruder Alert
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
master's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Computer Network Support Specialists
- Computer Systems Engineers/Architects
- Information Security Engineers
- Network & Computer Systems Administrators
- Software Developers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about computer network architects.