Computational Mathematician, Cryptographer, Mathematician, Research Scientist
What they do:Conduct research in fundamental mathematics or in application of mathematical techniques to science, management, and other fields. Solve problems in various fields using mathematical methods.
On the job, you would:
- Address the relationships of quantities, magnitudes, and forms through the use of numbers and symbols.
- Disseminate research by writing reports, publishing papers, or presenting at professional conferences.
- Maintain knowledge in the field by reading professional journals, talking with other mathematicians, and attending professional conferences.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- using math to solve problems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- IBM SPSS Statistics
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Object or component oriented development software
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
doctoral degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Bioinformatics Scientists
- Computer & Information Research Scientists
- Data Scientists
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about mathematicians.