Mathematical Science Teachers, Postsecondary
Instructor, Mathematics Instructor (Math Instructor), Mathematics Professor, Professor
What they do:Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
On the job, you would:
- Compile, administer, and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as linear algebra, differential equations, and discrete mathematics.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- using math to solve problems
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- measuring how well a system is working and how to improve it
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- remember words, numbers, pictures, or steps
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Word processing software
- Google Docs
- Microsoft Word
Computer based training software
- Learning management system LMS
Data base user interface and query software
- Blackboard software
- Structured query language SQL
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
master's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Atmospheric, Earth, Marine, & Space Sciences Teachers, Postsecondary
- Computer Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Economics Teachers, Postsecondary
- Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Physics Teachers, Postsecondary
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about mathematical science teachers, postsecondary.