Atmospheric, Earth, Marine, & Space Sciences Teachers, Postsecondary
Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Geology Professor, Professor
What they do:Teach courses in the physical sciences, except chemistry and physics. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching, and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
On the job, you would:
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as structural geology, micrometeorology, and atmospheric thermodynamics.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- talking to others
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- remember words, numbers, pictures, or steps
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Wolfram Research Mathematica
Computer based training software
- Blackboard software
- Learning management system LMS
Graphics or photo imaging software
- Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
master's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Biological Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Chemistry Teachers, Postsecondary
- Environmental Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Geography Teachers, Postsecondary
- Physics Teachers, Postsecondary
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about atmospheric, earth, marine, and space sciences teachers, postsecondary.