Computer Science Teachers, Postsecondary
Computer Information Systems Instructor (CIS Instructor), Computer Science Professor, Instructor, Professor
What they do:Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science, such as the design and function of computers or operations and research analysis. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
On the job, you would:
- Prepare course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Compile, administer, and grade examinations or assign this work to others.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as programming, data structures, and software design.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- customer service
- reading work related information
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Object or component oriented development software
- Oracle Java
Computer based training software
- Learning management system LMS
Development environment software
- Microsoft Visual Basic
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
master's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Business Teachers, Postsecondary
- Computer & Information Systems Managers
- Library Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Mathematical Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Software Developers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about computer science teachers, postsecondary.