Engineer, Project Engineer, Traffic Operations Engineer, Transportation Engineer
What they do:Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy. Prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for transportation facilities. Plan modifications of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
On the job, you would:
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- reading work related information
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Bentley MicroStation
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Analytical or scientific software
- Citilabs Cube
- Trafficware SynchroGreen
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Civil Engineering Technologists & Technicians
- Civil Engineers
- Construction Managers
- Traffic Technicians
- Transportation Planners
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about transportation engineers.