Fire-Prevention & Protection Engineers
Consulting Engineer, Engineer, Fire Protection Consultant, Fire Protection Engineer (FP Engineer)
What they do:Research causes of fires, determine fire protection methods, and design or recommend materials or equipment such as structural components or fire-detection equipment to assist organizations in safeguarding life and property against fire, explosion, and related hazards.
On the job, you would:
- Advise architects, builders, and other construction personnel on fire prevention equipment and techniques and on fire code and standard interpretation and compliance.
- Inspect buildings or building designs to determine fire protection system requirements and potential problems in areas such as water supplies, exit locations, and construction materials.
- Design fire detection equipment, alarm systems, and fire extinguishing devices and systems.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- reading work related information
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
- see hidden patterns
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk Revit
- Bentley MicroStation
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Analytical or scientific software
- ANSYS simulation software
- Simulation of fires in enclosures SOFIE software
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Environmental Engineers
- Fire Inspectors & Investigators
- First-Line Supervisors of Firefighting & Prevention Workers
- Forest Fire Inspectors & Prevention Specialists
- Health & Safety Engineers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about fire-prevention and protection engineers.