First-Line Supervisors of Firefighting & Prevention Workers
Engine Boss, Fire Battalion Chief, Fire Captain, Fire Chief
What they do:Directly supervise and coordinate activities of workers engaged in firefighting and fire prevention and control.
On the job, you would:
- Assign firefighters to jobs at strategic locations to facilitate rescue of persons and maximize application of extinguishing agents.
- Provide emergency medical services as required, and perform light to heavy rescue functions at emergencies.
- Assess nature and extent of fire, condition of building, danger to adjacent buildings, and water supply status to determine crew or company requirements.
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- law and government
- customer service
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- understanding people's reactions
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Stress Tolerance
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Fire incident reporting systems
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Analytical or scientific software
- Plume modeling software
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Fire Inspectors & Investigators
- Fire-Prevention & Protection Engineers
- First-Line Supervisors of Security Workers
- Forest Fire Inspectors & Prevention Specialists
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about first-line supervisors of firefighting and prevention workers.