Surveying & Mapping Technicians
Engineering Technician, Mapping Technician, Photogrammetric Technician, Survey Technician
What they do:Perform surveying and mapping duties, usually under the direction of an engineer, surveyor, cartographer, or photogrammetrist, to obtain data used for construction, mapmaking, boundary location, mining, or other purposes. May calculate mapmaking information and create maps from source data, such as surveying notes, aerial photography, satellite data, or other maps to show topographical features, political boundaries, and other features. May verify accuracy and completeness of maps.
On the job, you would:
- Position and hold the vertical rods, or targets, that theodolite operators use for sighting to measure angles, distances, and elevations.
- Check all layers of maps to ensure accuracy, identifying and marking errors and making corrections.
- Design or develop information databases that include geographic or topographic data.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- customer service
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by speaking
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
Hand and Finger Use
- put together small parts with your fingers
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Bentley MicroStation
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Analytical or scientific software
- Coordinate geometry COGO software
- Triton Elics International Isis
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Cartographers & Photogrammetrists
- Geodetic Surveyors
- Geographic Information Systems Technologists & Technicians
- Geological Technicians
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about surveying and mapping technicians.