Clinical & Counseling Psychologists
Clinical Psychologist, Counseling Psychologist, Psychologist, Psychotherapist
What they do:Assess, diagnose, and treat mental and emotional disorders of individuals through observation, interview, and psychological tests. Help individuals with distress or maladjustment understand their problems through their knowledge of case history, interviews with patients, and theory. Provide individual or group counseling services to assist individuals in achieving more effective personal, social, educational, and vocational development and adjustment. May design behavior modification programs and consult with medical personnel regarding the best treatment for patients.
On the job, you would:
- Interact with clients to assist them in gaining insight, defining goals, and planning action to achieve effective personal, social, educational, or vocational development and adjustment.
- Conduct assessments of patients' risk for harm to self or others.
- Counsel individuals, groups, or families to help them understand problems, deal with crisis situations, define goals, and develop realistic action plans.
- therapy and counseling
Math and Science
- sociology and anthropology
- customer service
- administrative services
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- understanding people's reactions
- looking for ways to help people
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Concern for Others
- Self Control
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
- Google Sheets
- Microsoft Excel
Word processing software
- Google Docs
- Microsoft Word
- eClinicalWorks EHR software
- UNI/CARE Pro-Filer
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
doctoral degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Clinical Neuropsychologists
- Marriage & Family Therapists
- Mental Health & Substance Abuse Social Workers
- Mental Health Counselors
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about clinical and counseling psychologists.