Mental Health Counselors
Clinician, Counselor, Mental Health Specialist, Mental Health Therapist
What they do:Counsel and advise individuals and groups to promote optimum mental and emotional health, with an emphasis on prevention. May help individuals deal with a broad range of mental health issues, such as those associated with addictions and substance abuse; family, parenting, and marital problems; stress management; self-esteem; or aging.
On the job, you would:
- Maintain confidentiality of records relating to clients' treatment.
- Encourage clients to express their feelings and discuss what is happening in their lives, helping them to develop insight into themselves or their relationships.
- Assess patients for risk of suicide attempts.
Math and Science
- sociology and anthropology
- therapy and counseling
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- understanding people's reactions
- looking for ways to help people
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Concern for Others
- Stress Tolerance
- Self Control
- Social Orientation
You might use software like this on the job:
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Oracle PeopleSoft
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Internet browser software
- Netscape Navigator
- Web browser software
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
master's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Clinical & Counseling Psychologists
- Healthcare Social Workers
- Marriage & Family Therapists
- Mental Health & Substance Abuse Social Workers
- Rehabilitation Counselors
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about mental health counselors.