Mental Health & Substance Abuse Social Workers
Case Manager, Mental Health Therapist, Social Worker, Therapist
What they do:Assess and treat individuals with mental, emotional, or substance abuse problems, including abuse of alcohol, tobacco, and/or other drugs. Activities may include individual and group therapy, crisis intervention, case management, client advocacy, prevention, and education.
On the job, you would:
- Counsel clients in individual or group sessions to assist them in dealing with substance abuse, mental or physical illness, poverty, unemployment, or physical abuse.
- Collaborate with counselors, physicians, or nurses to plan or coordinate treatment, drawing on social work experience and patient needs.
- Monitor, evaluate, and record client progress with respect to treatment goals.
- therapy and counseling
- medicine and dentistry
Math and Science
- sociology and anthropology
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- philosophy and religion
- customer service
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- understanding people's reactions
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Concern for Others
- Self Control
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
- Email software
- Microsoft Outlook
- Information presentation software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Client records software
- Medical procedure coding software
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
master's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Healthcare Social Workers
- Marriage & Family Therapists
- Mental Health Counselors
- Rehabilitation Counselors
- Substance Abuse & Behavioral Disorder Counselors
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about mental health and substance abuse social workers.