Substance Abuse & Behavioral Disorder Counselors
Addictions Counselor, Chemical Dependency Counselor (CD Counselor), Counselor, Substance Abuse Counselor (SA Counselor)
What they do:Counsel and advise individuals with alcohol, tobacco, drug, or other problems, such as gambling and eating disorders. May counsel individuals, families, or groups or engage in prevention programs.
On the job, you would:
- Complete and maintain accurate records or reports regarding the patients' histories and progress, services provided, or other required information.
- Counsel clients or patients, individually or in group sessions, to assist in overcoming dependencies, adjusting to life, or making changes.
- Assess individuals' degree of drug dependency by collecting and analyzing urine samples.
- therapy and counseling
- medicine and dentistry
Math and Science
- sociology and anthropology
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- understanding people's reactions
- looking for ways to help people
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Concern for Others
- Stress Tolerance
- Self Control
- Social Orientation
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
- Email software
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Addison Health Systems WritePad EHR
- Varian Medical Systems
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
master's degree or
high school diploma/GED
high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Healthcare Social Workers
- Marriage & Family Therapists
- Mental Health & Substance Abuse Social Workers
- Mental Health Counselors
- Rehabilitation Counselors
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselors.