Employment Specialist, Job Coach, Rehabilitation Counselor, Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC)
What they do:Counsel individuals to maximize the independence and employability of persons coping with personal, social, and vocational difficulties that result from birth defects, illness, disease, accidents, aging, or the stress of daily life. Coordinate activities for residents of care and treatment facilities. Assess client needs and design and implement rehabilitation programs that may include personal and vocational counseling, training, and job placement.
On the job, you would:
- Prepare and maintain records and case files, including documentation, such as clients' personal and eligibility information, services provided, narratives of client contacts, or relevant correspondence.
- Confer with clients to discuss their options and goals so that rehabilitation programs and plans for accessing needed services can be developed.
- Develop rehabilitation plans that fit clients' aptitudes, education levels, physical abilities, and career goals.
- customer service
- administrative services
- therapy and counseling
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Math and Science
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- looking for ways to help people
- understanding people's reactions
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
- Email software
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Internet browser software
- Microsoft Mobile Explorer MME
- Web browser software
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Child, Family, & School Social Workers
- Healthcare Social Workers
- Mental Health & Substance Abuse Social Workers
- Mental Health Counselors
- Occupational Therapy Aides
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about rehabilitation counselors.