Geography Teachers, Postsecondary
Also called: Assistant Professor, Geography Instructor, Geography Professor, Professor
What they do:Teach courses in geography. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
On the job, you would:
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as urbanization, environmental systems, and cultural geography.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- history and archeology
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- talking to others
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- teaching people how to do something
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Map creation software
Analytical or scientific software
Computer based training software
- Blackboard Learn