Geography Teachers, Postsecondary
Also called: Associate Professor, Geography Instructor, Geography Professor, Professor
What they do:Teach courses in geography. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
On the job, you would:
- Prepare course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as urbanization, environmental systems, and cultural geography.
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- history and archeology
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- talking to others
- writing things for co-workers or customers
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- teaching people how to do something
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Map creation software
Analytical or scientific software
Computer based training software
- Blackboard Learn