English Language & Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
Also called: English Instructor, English Professor, Instructor, Professor
What they do:Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
On the job, you would:
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Prepare course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- philisophy and religion
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Math and Science
- sociology and anthropology
- reading work related information
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- teaching people how to do something
- looking for ways to help people
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer based training software
- Blackboard Collaborate
- Blackboard Learn
Graphics or photo imaging software
Word processing software