English Language & Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
English Instructor, English Professor, Instructor, Professor
What they do:Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
On the job, you would:
- Teach writing or communication classes.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Prepare course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- history and archeology
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Math and Science
- sociology and anthropology
- reading work related information
- writing things for co-workers or customers
- teaching people how to do something
- looking for ways to help people
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Graphics or photo imaging software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
Computer based training software
- Learning management system LMS
Word processing software
- Google Docs
- Microsoft Word
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
doctoral degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Area, Ethnic, & Cultural Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
- Foreign Language & Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
- History Teachers, Postsecondary
- Philosophy & Religion Teachers, Postsecondary
- Sociology Teachers, Postsecondary
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about english language and literature teachers, postsecondary.