Foreign Language & Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
French Professor, Professor, Spanish Instructor, Spanish Professor
What they do:Teach languages and literature courses in languages other than English. Includes teachers of American Sign Language (ASL). Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
On the job, you would:
- Prepare course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
Arts and Humanities
- foreign language
- English language
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Math and Science
- sociology and anthropology
- administrative services
- talking to others
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- teaching people how to do something
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Stress Tolerance
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Word processing software
- Google Docs
- Microsoft Word
Computer based training software
- Learning management system LMS
Electronic mail software
- Email software
- Microsoft Outlook
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
doctoral degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Adult Basic Education, Adult Secondary Education, & English as a Second Language Instructors
- Area, Ethnic, & Cultural Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
- English Language & Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
- History Teachers, Postsecondary
- Secondary School Teachers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about foreign language and literature teachers, postsecondary.