Career/Technical Education Teachers, Postsecondary
Cosmetology Instructor; HVAC-R Instructor (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, And Refrigeration Instructor); Instructor; Professor
What they do:Teach vocational courses intended to provide occupational training below the baccalaureate level in subjects such as construction, mechanics/repair, manufacturing, transportation, or cosmetology, primarily to students who have graduated from or left high school. Teaching takes place in public or private schools whose primary business is academic or vocational education.
On the job, you would:
- Observe and evaluate students' work to determine progress, provide feedback, and make suggestions for improvement.
- Present lectures and conduct discussions to increase students' knowledge and competence using visual aids, such as graphs, charts, videotapes, and slides.
- Supervise and monitor students' use of tools and equipment.
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
- customer service
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- using the best training or teaching strategies for learning new things
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- teaching people how to do something
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Word processing software
- Google Docs
- Microsoft Word
Computer based training software
- Common Curriculum
- Medical condition coding software
- Medical procedure coding software
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
associate's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Career/Technical Education Teachers, Middle School
- Career/Technical Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Engineering Teachers, Postsecondary
- Special Education Teachers, Elementary School
- Teaching Assistants, Special Education
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about career/technical education teachers, postsecondary.