Farm & Home Management Educators
4-H Youth Development Specialist, Extension Agent, Extension Educator, Family and Consumer Sciences Extension Agent
What they do:Instruct and advise individuals and families engaged in agriculture, agricultural-related processes, or home management activities. Demonstrate procedures and apply research findings to advance agricultural and home management activities. May develop educational outreach programs. May instruct on either agricultural issues such as agricultural processes and techniques, pest management, and food safety, or on home management issues such as budgeting, nutrition, and child development.
On the job, you would:
- Advise farmers and demonstrate techniques in areas such as feeding and health maintenance of livestock, growing and harvesting practices, and financial planning.
- Conduct classes or deliver lectures on subjects such as nutrition, home management, and farming techniques.
- Collaborate with producers to diagnose and prevent management and production problems.
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- food production
- customer service
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- order or arrange things
- remember words, numbers, pictures, or steps
- do two or more things at the same time
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Geographic information system
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Geographic information system GIS software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Microsoft Dynamics
- SAP software
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
master's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Agricultural Sciences Teachers, Postsecondary
- Business Teachers, Postsecondary
- Career/Technical Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Management Analysts
- Range Managers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about farm and home management educators.