Sound Engineering Technicians
Audio Engineer, Mixer, Recording Engineer, Sound Engineer
What they do:Assemble and operate equipment to record, synchronize, mix, edit, or reproduce sound, including music, voices, or sound effects, for theater, video, film, television, podcasts, sporting events, and other productions.
On the job, you would:
- Record speech, music, and other sounds on recording media, using recording equipment.
- Confer with producers, performers, and others to determine and achieve the desired sound for a production, such as a musical recording or a film.
- Separate instruments, vocals, and other sounds, and combine sounds during the mixing or postproduction stage.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- create new and original ideas
- pay attention to something without being distracted
Hearing and Speech
- tell the difference between sounds
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Operating system software
- Apple macOS
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Music or sound editing software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Audition
- Audio editing software
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Audio & Video Technicians
- Broadcast Technicians
- Calibration Technologists & Technicians
- Lighting Technicians
- Media Technical Directors/Managers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about sound engineering technicians.