Certified Orthoptist, Clinical Orthoptist (CO), Orthoptist
What they do:Diagnose and treat visual system disorders such as binocular vision and eye movement impairments.
On the job, you would:
- Examine patients with problems related to ocular motility, binocular vision, amblyopia, or strabismus.
- Evaluate, diagnose, or treat disorders of the visual system with an emphasis on binocular vision or abnormal eye movements.
- Provide instructions to patients or family members concerning diagnoses or treatment plans.
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- medicine and dentistry
- customer service
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
- see hidden patterns
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Word processing software
- Eye Tracking Exercises Enterprises Track with Letters
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Computer Aided Vision Therapy CAVT
- Therapeutic orthoptic software
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
certificate after college
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Emergency Medicine Physicians
- Family Medicine Physicians
- Physician Assistants
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about orthoptists.