First-Line Supervisors of Police & Detectives
Police Captain, Shift Supervisor
What they do:Directly supervise and coordinate activities of members of police force.
On the job, you would:
- Supervise and coordinate the investigation of criminal cases, offering guidance and expertise to investigators, and ensuring that procedures are conducted in accordance with laws and regulations.
- Explain police operations to subordinates to assist them in performing their job duties.
- Train staff in proper police work procedures.
Safety and Government
- law and government
- public safety and security
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- customer service
Math and Science
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
Hearing and Speech
- speak clearly
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Stress Tolerance
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Microsoft Access
- National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Graphics or photo imaging software
- Computer aided composite drawing software
- DesignWare 3D EyeWitness
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about first-line supervisors of police and detectives.