Hosts & Hostesses, Restaurant, Lounge, & Coffee Shop
Also called: Greeter, Hospitality Coordinator, Host, Hostess
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
If you’re friendly and value good customer service, you might consider finding work as a host or hostess in a restaurant, lounge, or coffee shop. As the source of customers’ first impressions, the host or hostess provides many initial services. They usually take reservations, guide customers to tables… provide them with menus… and ensure prompt and courteous service. In some businesses, the host or hostess is also the cashier. Customer service skills are helpful, as hosts often need to resolve complaints. Knowledge of a second language may be helpful in restaurants specializing in a foreign cuisine. A host or hostess is usually not tipped directly by customers, but may receive a percentage in locations where staff combine tips in a pool. In most places, the job of host or hostess is easy to learn and usually low-stress. Hours are typically part-time, including evenings, weekends, and holidays. A good option for work while attending school, getting familiar with a new city, or working on other projects, hosting’s only major demands are a positive attitude, a neat and clean appearance —and a smile!
What they do:Welcome patrons, seat them at tables or in lounge, and help ensure quality of facilities and service.
On the job, you would:
- Provide guests with menus.
- Assign patrons to tables suitable for their needs and according to rotation so that servers receive an appropriate number of seatings.
- Greet guests and seat them at tables or in waiting areas.
- customer service
- sales and marketing
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- food production
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- looking for ways to help people
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
- do two or more things at the same time
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Stress Tolerance
- Self Control
- Social Orientation
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Avenista Table Reservations
- GuestBridge Reserve
Point of sale POS software
- Hospitality Control Solutions Aloha Point-of-Sale