Fitness Trainers & Aerobics Instructors
Also called: Aerobics Instructor, Fitness Instructor, Group Fitness Instructor, Personal Trainer
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Want to be at the head of the class? Fitness trainers and aerobics instructors are leaders of all their classes, leading exercise groups at health clubs, exercise studios, and other facilities. They demonstrate correct exercise form and the proper use of equipment. These teachers also instruct students on weight training, flexibility, aerobics, and other workout styles, often developing programs for people with special needs or goals. Aerobics instructors plan routines that work different sets of muscles and combine a high-energy sweat session with music. The job may require maintaining equipment and keeping records, as well as promoting membership and enrollment in a gym or health club. Good communication skills and an approachable manner are essential; some positions may require expertise in weight control and nutrition. Running several classes a day requires stamina and energy, so it's expected that you be in good physical condition. Many instructors work in the field part-time. Instructors often enter the field with experience in fitness classes, dance, or other sports disciplines. Certification in first aid, and in a fitness field such as personal training, weight training, or aerobics may be required. Becoming a fitness trainer is a great way to share your commitment to an active lifestyle.
What they do:Instruct or coach groups or individuals in exercise activities. Demonstrate techniques and form, observe participants, and explain to them corrective measures necessary to improve their skills.
On the job, you would:
- Offer alternatives during classes to accommodate different levels of fitness.
- Plan routines, choose appropriate music, and choose different movements for each set of muscles, depending on participants' capabilities and limitations.
- Evaluate individuals' abilities, needs, and physical conditions, and develop suitable training programs to meet any special requirements.
- customer service
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Math and Science
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- talking to others
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- teaching people how to do something
- looking for ways to help people
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
Flexibility, Balance, and Coordination
- move your arms, legs, and mid-section together while your whole body is moving
- bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs
- use your lower back and stomach
- exercise for a long time without your muscles getting tired
- communicate by speaking
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- BioEx Systems Exercise Expert
Project management software
- BioEx Systems Fitness Maker
- Online River Software Personal Trainer Pro