Library Assistants, Clerical
Library Aide, Library Assistant, Library Circulation Assistant, Library Clerk
What they do:Compile records, and sort, shelve, issue, and receive library materials such as books, electronic media, pictures, cards, slides and microfilm. Locate library materials for loan and replace material in shelving area, stacks, or files according to identification number and title. Register patrons to permit them to borrow books, periodicals, and other library materials.
On the job, you would:
- Sort books, publications, and other items according to established procedure and return them to shelves, files, or other designated storage areas.
- Open and close library during specified hours and secure library equipment, such as computers and audio-visual equipment.
- Locate library materials for patrons, including books, periodicals, tape cassettes, Braille volumes, and pictures.
- customer service
- administrative services
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Math and Science
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- read and understand what is written
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Database software
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) databases
- ResourceMate Plus
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Document Management Specialists
- File Clerks
- Library Technicians
- Office Clerks, General
- Secretaries & Administrative Assistants
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about library assistants, clerical.