Word Processors & Typists
Also called: Clerk Typist, Keyboard Specialist, Typist, Word Processor
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Word processors and typists use computer programs, or occasionally typewriters, to type documents from handwritten drafts or voice recordings. They often have other clerical duties such as answering phones, handling mail, or running errands. Word processors and typists must be familiar with a variety of computer programs and functions such as sending emails, creating tables, and spreadsheets. They make sure that documents are accurate and attractively formatted; strong spelling, grammar, and punctuation knowledge is essential. Word processors and typists also need good communication skills to communicate with supervisors and co-workers, and to set work priorities effectively. These workers tend to work in offices on regular 40-hour schedules. A high school diploma or equivalent is generally required. Related work experience or clerical training may be helpful.
What they do:Use word processor, computer, or typewriter to type letters, reports, forms, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording. May perform other clerical duties as assigned.
On the job, you would:
- Perform other clerical duties, such as answering telephone, sorting and distributing mail, running errands or sending faxes.
- Check completed work for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and format.
- File and store completed documents on computer hard drive or disk, or maintain a computer filing system to store, retrieve, update, and delete documents.
- administrative services
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- looking for ways to help people
- read and understand what is written
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- group things in different ways
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
Customer relationship management CRM software
- Blackbaud CRM