Medical Scribe, Medical Transcriptionist, Radiology Transcriptionist, Transcriptionist
What they do:Transcribe medical reports recorded by physicians and other healthcare practitioners using various electronic devices, covering office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries. Transcribe dictated reports and translate abbreviations into fully understandable form. Edit as necessary and return reports in either printed or electronic form for review and signature, or correction.
On the job, you would:
- Return dictated reports in printed or electronic form for physician's review, signature, and corrections and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
- Produce medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care information, statistics, medical research, and administrative material.
- Identify mistakes in reports and check with doctors to obtain the correct information.
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- administrative services
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- medicine and dentistry
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- group things in different ways
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Word processing software
- Boston Bar Systems Corporation Sonnet
- Microsoft Word
Video creation and editing software
- eClinicalWorks EHR software
- SpectraMedi EasyFlow
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
certificate after high school or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Emergency Medical Technicians
- Health Information Technologists & Medical Registrars
- Medical Assistants
- Medical Records Specialists
- Word Processors & Typists
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about medical transcriptionists.