Graders & Sorters, Agricultural Products
Also called: Apple Sorter, Grader, Potato Grader, Sorter
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
When a harvest leaves the field, not all the crops are equally ready for market; agricultural graders and sorters evaluate unprocessed foods to classify or rate them by size, weight, color, or condition. Graders and sorters categorize products that are of differing quality and color, such as different types of apples, and pick out any defective products, typically, rotten fruit, foreign matter, leaves, or pieces of wood. They also load products in containers before sending them on for further processing, whether to ship to market or to be manufactured for prepared foodstuffs. Graders and sorters typically spend almost all their time standing and moving about, using their hands, bending, and lifting objects. The work can be fast-paced and repetitive. There are no formal education requirements for graders and sorters, and on-the-job training can be completed quickly.
What they do:Grade, sort, or classify unprocessed food and other agricultural products by size, weight, color, or condition.
On the job, you would:
- Place products in containers according to grade and mark grades on containers.
- Weigh products or estimate their weight, visually or by feel.
- Discard inferior or defective products or foreign matter, and place acceptable products in containers for further processing.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- put together small parts with your fingers
- listen and understand what people say
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
- Food & Tobacco Roasting, Baking, & Drying Machine Operators & Tenders
- Food Batchmakers
- Meat, Poultry, & Fish Cutters & Trimmers
- Packaging & Filling Machine Operators & Tenders
- Packers & Packagers, Hand
You might like a career in one of these industries: