Fishing & Hunting Workers
Also called: Commercial Fisherman, Hunter, Trapper, Wildlife Control Operator
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Fishers and fishing workers experience the thrill of the catch, along with long waits and fruitless searches. They use nets, fishing rods, traps, and other equipment to catch and gather aquatic animals. The fishing boat captain runs the fishing operation, and decides where to fish and when to return to port. Fishing deckhands perform the everyday tasks of baiting… setting lines or traps… hauling in and sorting the catch… and maintaining the boat and fishing gear. On larger operations, crews work together hoisting heavy nets or using machinery to move large catches. They may be at sea for weeks or even months. Some fishers work on small boats with a crew of just one or two, using nets or dredges, or setting out pots and traps for lobsters and crabs. Some workers rake for kelp and other marine vegetation. Commercial fishing can be dangerous, and medical care is often not immediately available. Many fishers are self-employed and are also seasonal workers, working long hours at strenuous tasks. There is no education requirement for fishing; most learn on the job. Captains must be licensed. Fishers need a permit to fish in almost any water. Permits specify the fishing season… the type and amount of fish that may be caught… and—sometimes—the type of permissible fishing gear.
What they do:Hunt, trap, catch, or gather wild animals or aquatic animals and plants. May use nets, traps, or other equipment. May haul catch onto ship or other vessel.
On the job, you would:
- Patrol trap lines or nets to inspect settings, remove catch, and reset or relocate traps.
- Obtain permission from landowners to hunt or trap on their land.
- Travel on foot, by vehicle, or by equipment such as boats, snowmobiles, helicopters, snowshoes, or skis to reach hunting areas.
Safety and Government
- law and government
Engineering and Technology
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Map creation software
- MaxSea TIMEZERO
- Trimble MyTopo Terrain Navigator Pro
Analytical or scientific software
- Winchester Ammunition Ballistics Calculator
Data base user interface and query software
- Catchlog Trading Catchlog
- OLRAC Electronic Logbook Software Solution