Electrician, Industrial Electrician, Inside Wireman, Maintenance Electrician
What they do:Install, maintain, and repair electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures. Ensure that work is in accordance with relevant codes. May install or service street lights, intercom systems, or electrical control systems.
On the job, you would:
- Prepare sketches or follow blueprints to determine the location of wiring or equipment and to ensure conformance to building and safety codes.
- Place conduit, pipes, or tubing, inside designated partitions, walls, or other concealed areas, and pull insulated wires or cables through the conduit to complete circuits between boxes.
- Work from ladders, scaffolds, or roofs to install, maintain, or repair electrical wiring, equipment, or fixtures.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
- customer service
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
Hand and Finger Use
- put together small parts with your fingers
- keep your arm or hand steady
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Word processing software
- Microsoft Word
- Socrates Contractor's Library
Analytical or scientific software
- Construction Master Pro
- SoftEmpire Electrical Calculations
Data base user interface and query software
- Database software
- Shafer Service Systems
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
certificate after high school or
high school diploma/GED
high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Electrical & Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, & Relay
- Electrical Power-Line Installers & Repairers
- Lighting Technicians
- Plumbers, Pipefitters, & Steamfitters
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about electricians.