Control & Valve Installers & Repairers
Instrument and Electrical Technician (I & E Technician), Measurement Technician, Meter Technician, Valve Technician
What they do:
Install, repair, and maintain mechanical regulating and controlling devices, such as electric meters, gas regulators, thermostats, safety and flow valves, and other mechanical governors.
On the job, you would:
- Record maintenance information, including test results, material usage, and repairs made.
- Disassemble and repair mechanical control devices or valves, such as regulators, thermostats, or hydrants, using power tools, hand tools, and cutting torches.
- Lubricate wearing surfaces of mechanical parts, using oils or other lubricants.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Project management software
- Maintenance record software
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
- Cooling & Freezing Equipment Operators & Tenders
- Pesticide Handlers, Sprayers, & Applicators, Vegetation
- Refractory Materials Repairers
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, & Still Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment & Systems Inspectors
You might like a career in one of these industries: