Maintenance & Repair Workers, General
Facilities Technician, Maintenance Engineer, Maintenance Mechanic, Maintenance Technician
What they do:Perform work involving the skills of two or more maintenance or craft occupations to keep machines, mechanical equipment, or the structure of a building in repair. Duties may involve pipe fitting; HVAC maintenance; insulating; welding; machining; carpentry; repairing electrical or mechanical equipment; installing, aligning, and balancing new equipment; and repairing buildings, floors, or stairs.
On the job, you would:
- Perform routine maintenance, such as inspecting drives, motors, or belts, checking fluid levels, replacing filters, or doing other preventive maintenance actions.
- Inspect, operate, or test machinery or equipment to diagnose machine malfunctions.
- Adjust functional parts of devices or control instruments, using hand tools, levels, plumb bobs, or straightedges.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- figuring out how to use new ideas or things
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- notice when problems happen
- see hidden patterns
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Operating system software
- Apple macOS
Video creation and editing software
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
certificate after high school or
high school diploma/GED
high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, & Systems Assemblers
- Hydroelectric Plant Technicians
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics
- Plumbers, Pipefitters, & Steamfitters
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about maintenance and repair workers, general.