Locksmiths & Safe Repairers
Also called: Certified Master Locksmith (CML), Lock Technician, Locksmith, Safe Technician
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
As long as human nature includes criminal activity, we’re going to need locks, keys, combinations, and safes. That means there will always be a need for the precision skills of locksmiths and safe repairers. We depend on these professionals to install new locks and safes, and repair them when they break. And then there’s human error— who hasn’t accidentally locked themselves out of their home before? When you lock your keys inside and you’re running behind schedule, the locksmith who rescues you is your new favorite person. Most jobs require a high school degree, and some mechanical knowledge— whether from related work experience, the military, or vocational school. Basic locksmith skills, such as making keys and lock repair, might be learned on the job at a hardware store, or in a handyman’s position. For companies that specialize in security systems with a more complex electronic design, you can expect some on-the-job training. Trustworthiness and a clean record are factors that will be welcomed by your employer— AND by your thankful customers!
What they do:Repair and open locks, make keys, change locks and safe combinations, and install and repair safes.
On the job, you would:
- Cut new or duplicate keys, using key cutting machines.
- Disassemble mechanical or electrical locking devices, and repair or replace worn tumblers, springs, and other parts, using hand tools.
- Cut new or duplicate keys, using impressions or code key machines.
Engineering and Technology
- customer service
- sales and marketing
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- law and government
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- put together small parts with your fingers
- keep your arm or hand steady
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- dESCO ESC
- WH Software InstaCode
Inventory management software
- Inventory tracking software
- WH Software MasterKey
- Audiovisual Equipment Installers & Repairers
- Automotive Body & Related Repairers
- Computer, Automated Teller, & Office Machine Repairers
- Outdoor Power Equipment & Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Security & Fire Alarm Systems Installers
You might like a career in one of these industries: