Furnace, Kiln, Oven, Drier, & Kettle Operators & Tenders
Also called: Control Room Operator, Furnace Operator, Kiln Fireman, Kiln Operator
What they do:Operate or tend heating equipment other than basic metal, plastic, or food processing equipment. Includes activities, such as annealing glass, drying lumber, curing rubber, removing moisture from materials, or boiling soap.
On the job, you would:
- Monitor equipment operation, gauges, and panel lights to detect deviations from standards.
- Confer with supervisors or other equipment operators to report equipment malfunctions or to resolve production problems.
- Press and adjust controls to activate, set, and regulate equipment according to specifications.
Engineering and Technology
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Word processing software
Data base user interface and query software
- Drilling & Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Drywall & Ceiling Tile Installers
- Electrical & Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, & Relay
- Food Cooking Machine Operators & Tenders
- Insulation Workers, Mechanical
You might like a career in one of these industries: