Computer Numerically Controlled Tool Programmers
CAD CAM Programmer (Computer-Aided Design Computer-Aided Manufacturing Programmer), Computer Numerical Control Machinist (CNC Machinist), Computer Numerical Control Programmer (CNC Programmer), Programmer
What they do:Develop programs to control machining or processing of materials by automatic machine tools, equipment, or systems. May also set up, operate, or maintain equipment.
On the job, you would:
- Write programs in the language of a machine's controller and store programs on media, such as punch tapes, magnetic tapes, or disks.
- Determine the sequence of machine operations, and select the proper cutting tools needed to machine workpieces into the desired shapes.
- Revise programs or tapes to eliminate errors, and retest programs to check that problems have been solved.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- figuring out how to use new ideas or things
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- notice when problems happen
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
- see hidden patterns
- listen and understand what people say
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Dassault Systemes SolidWorks
Video conferencing software
Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- 1CadCam Unigraphics
- Vero Software WorkNC
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
certificate after high school or
high school diploma/GED
high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Computer Numerically Controlled Tool Operators
- Electromechanical Equipment Assemblers
- Mechanical Drafters
- Robotics Technicians
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about computer numerically controlled tool programmers.