Bridge & Lock Tenders
Bridge Operator, Bridge Tender, Lock Tender
- Control machinery to open and close canal locks and dams, railroad or highway drawbridges, or horizontally or vertically adjustable bridges.
- Direct movements of vessels in locks or bridge areas, using signals, telecommunication equipment, or loudspeakers.
- Observe position and progress of vessels to ensure best use of lock spaces or bridge opening spaces.
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hearing and Speech
- pay attention to one sound while there are other distracting sounds
- recognize spoken words
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
- Email software
- Microsoft Outlook
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Oracle PeopleSoft
- SAP software
- Microsoft Excel
certificate after high school
Get started on your career: