Human Factors Engineers & Ergonomists
Ergonomist, Human Factors Engineer, Senior Research Associate, User Experience Team Lead
see titles from the Air Force.
Aircrew Flight Equipment; Aircrew Flight Equipment Apprentice; Aircrew Flight Equipment Craftsman; Aircrew Flight Equipment Helper; Aircrew Flight Equipment Journeyman; Aircrew Flight Equipment Superintendent
What they do:
Design objects, facilities, and environments to optimize human well-being and overall system performance, applying theory, principles, and data regarding the relationship between humans and respective technology. Investigate and analyze characteristics of human behavior and performance as it relates to the use of technology.
On the job, you would:
- Design or evaluate human work systems, using human factors engineering and ergonomic principles to optimize usability, cost, quality, safety, or performance.
- Collect data through direct observation of work activities or witnessing the conduct of tests.
- Conduct interviews or surveys of users or customers to collect information on topics such as requirements, needs, fatigue, ergonomics, or interfaces.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- measuring how well a system is working and how to improve it
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
Graphics or photo imaging software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Fireworks
- Adobe Systems Adobe Flash
Web platform development software
- Cascading Style Sheets CSS
master's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
You might like a career in one of these industries: