Historian, Historic Sites Registrar, Research Associate, Researcher
- Conserve and preserve manuscripts, records, and other artifacts.
- Gather historical data from sources such as archives, court records, diaries, news files, and photographs, as well as from books, pamphlets, and periodicals.
- Conduct historical research as a basis for the identification, conservation, and reconstruction of historic places and materials.
Arts and Humanities
- history and archeology
- English language
- customer service
- administrative services
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Math and Science
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Microsoft Access
- Structured query language SQL
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Information retrieval or search software
- Archival databases
- Smithsonian Institution digital archives
Get started on your career: