Atmospheric, Earth, Marine, & Space Sciences Teachers, Postsecondary
Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Geology Professor, Professor
see titles from the Marine Corps or Navy.
Meteorology and Oceanography (METOC) Analyst Forecaster
Aerographer's Mate; Instructor, Academic (Physical Science); LDO - Meteorology/Oceanography; RL - Special Duty Officer (Oceanography)
What they do:
Teach courses in the physical sciences, except chemistry and physics. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching, and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
On the job, you would:
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as structural geology, micrometeorology, and atmospheric thermodynamics.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Arts and Humanities
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- talking to others
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- remember words, numbers, pictures, or steps
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- Tecplot software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
Computer based training software
- Blackboard Learn
Graphics or photo imaging software
- ACD Systems Canvas
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop