Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses
Advanced Practice Nurse Psychotherapist (APN Psychotherapist), Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurse, Psychiatric Clinical Nurse Specialist, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse (PMH Nurse)
see titles from the Air Force, Army, or Navy.
Mental Health Nurse
Nurse Corps Officer; Psychiatric/Behavioral Health Nurse
SC - Nurse Corps - General
What they do:
Provide advanced nursing care for patients with psychiatric disorders. May provide psychotherapy under the direction of a psychiatrist.
On the job, you would:
- Monitor patients' medication usage and results.
- Document patients' medical and psychological histories, physical assessment results, diagnoses, treatment plans, prescriptions, or outcomes.
- Diagnose psychiatric disorders and mental health conditions.
- therapy and counseling
- medicine and dentistry
Math and Science
- sociology and anthropology
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- philisophy and religion
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- understanding people's reactions
- looking for ways to help people
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Concern for Others
- Self Control
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
- Beck Anxiety Inventory
- Zung Depression Rating Scale
Data base user interface and query software