Insurance Sales Agents
Insurance Agent, Insurance Broker, Sales Agent, Sales Representative
What they do:Sell life, property, casualty, health, automotive, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as an independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
On the job, you would:
- Customize insurance programs to suit individual customers, often covering a variety of risks.
- Sell various types of insurance policies to businesses and individuals on behalf of insurance companies, including automobile, fire, life, property, medical and dental insurance, or specialized policies, such as marine, farm/crop, and medical malpractice.
- Explain features, advantages, and disadvantages of various policies to promote sale of insurance plans.
- customer service
- sales and marketing
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Safety and Government
- law and government
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking people into changing their minds or their behavior
- looking for ways to help people
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- AMS Services AMS Sagitta
- Microsoft Dynamics
Video creation and editing software
- Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects
Customer relationship management CRM software
- Applied Systems Vision
- Tangle S Creations Your Insurance Office
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Insurance Claims & Policy Processing Clerks
- Loan Officers
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Sales Representatives of Services
- Securities, Commodities, & Financial Services Sales Agents
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about insurance sales agents.