Insurance Sales Agents
Also called: Insurance Agent, Insurance Broker, Sales Agent, Sales Representative
In the Marine Corps: Recruiter
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Whether for your car, your house, or your life… protecting assets in case of accidents or other harm is the purpose of insurance… and insurance sales agents help people get the right insurance for their needs. Insurance sales agents sell different types of insurance coverage. For people and businesses, they sell policies that cover financial loss due to accidents, fire, theft, and other events. Life insurance is sold to be paid to beneficiaries when the covered person dies; health and long-term care insurance cover medical care costs. Agents hold meetings with current and prospective clients to discuss finances, analyze clients’ circumstances, and explain different options. They make calls and advertise to attract new clients, and maintain detailed electronic and paper records. Earnings for insurance sales agents are often structured differently than many jobs: most independent agents sell policies from a variety of companies, and are paid based on what they sell. Those employed by agencies or insurance carriers are paid a salary, and may earn a bonus for meeting sales goals. Insurance sales agents usually work full time, and often schedule evening and weekend appointments. A high school diploma is typically required for insurance sales agents, although a bachelor’s degree can improve job prospects. Agents must be licensed in the states where they work.
What they do:Sell life, property, casualty, health, automotive, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as an independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
On the job, you would:
- Customize insurance programs to suit individual customers, often covering a variety of risks.
- Sell various types of insurance policies to businesses and individuals on behalf of insurance companies, including automobile, fire, life, property, medical and dental insurance, or specialized policies, such as marine, farm/crop, and medical malpractice.
- Explain features, advantages, and disadvantages of various policies to promote sale of insurance plans.
- customer service
- sales and marketing
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Safety and Government
- law and government
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking people into changing their minds or their behavior
- looking for ways to help people
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Video creation and editing software
Customer relationship management CRM software
- Applied Systems Vision
- Tangle S Creations Your Insurance Office
- Agents & Business Managers of Artists, Performers, & Athletes
- Loan Officers
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Securities, Commodities, & Financial Services Sales Agents
- Writers & Authors
You might like a career in one of these industries: