Shipping, Receiving, & Inventory Clerks
Receiver, Receiving Clerk, Shipper, Shipping Clerk
Select a military branch to see samples.
Air Transportation; Aircraft Loadmaster Apprentice, C-17; Aircraft Loadmaster Craftsman, C-130J; Aircraft Loadmaster Helper; Aircraft Loadmaster Journeyman, MC-130J; In-Flight Refueling Specialist Apprentice; In-Flight Refueling Specialist Journeyman, KC-46; Materiel Management Journeyman; Munitions Systems Craftsman; Operations Management
Ammunition Specialist; Ammunition Stock Control and Accounting Specialist; Automated Logistical Specialist; Cargo Specialist; Food Service Technician; Medical Logistics Specialist; Property Accounting Technician; Supply Systems Technician; Transportation Management Coordinator; Unit Supply Specialist
Gunner's Mate; Marine Safety Specialist Engineer; Storekeeper
Aerial Delivery Officer; Ammunition Inventory Management Specialist; Aviation Ordnance Systems Technician; Basic Aviation Supply Marine; Combat Engineer; Ground Supply Operations Officer; Landing Support Specialist; Marine Air Ground Task Force (MAGTF) Planning Specialist; Marine Corps Community Services Marine; Ordnance Quality Assurance/Safety Observer
Air Transportation Specialist; Aviation Ordnanceman; Contract Specialist; Inventory Control Methods Officer; Logistician; Logistics Specialist (Submarine); Naval Aviation Logistics Command Management Information System (NALCOMIS) Supply Data Base Administrator (DBA); Optimized Naval Aviation Logistic Command Operations Maintenance Information System (NALCOMIS) Intermediate Maintenance Activity (IMA) Aviation Supply Systems Specialist; Ship Store Officer; Submarine Logistician
Materiel Management; Materiel Management Apprentice; Materiel Management Helper; Materiel Management Journeyman; Traffic Management Operations; Traffic Management Operations Apprentice; Traffic Management Operations Helper
What they do:Verify and maintain records on incoming and outgoing shipments involving inventory. Duties include verifying and recording incoming merchandise or material and arranging for the transportation of products. May prepare items for shipment.
On the job, you would:
- Examine shipment contents and compare with records, such as manifests, invoices, or orders, to verify accuracy.
- Requisition and store shipping materials and supplies to maintain inventory of stock.
- Prepare documents, such as work orders, bills of lading, or shipping orders, to route materials.
- administrative services
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- talking to others
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne
- SAP software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Materials requirements planning logistics and supply chain software
- Warehouse management system WMS
- WindowBook Postal Package Partner
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Cargo & Freight Agents
- Laborers & Freight, Stock, & Material Movers, Hand
- Postal Service Clerks
- Stockers & Order Fillers
- Weighers, Measurers, Checkers, & Samplers, Recordkeeping
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about shipping, receiving, and inventory clerks.