Postal Service Clerks
Clerk, Postal Clerk, Sales and Service Associate (SSA), Window Clerk
Select a military branch to see samples.
Administration; Administration Apprentice; Administration Craftsman; Administration Helper; Administration Journeyman; Administration Manager; Administration Superintendent; CourierNo similar titles were found.
Enlisted Aviation Logistician; Postal Clerk; Postal Officer
Conversion NEC LS Logistics Specialist Basic; Conversion NEC LSS Logistics Specialist (Submarines); Expeditionary Logistics Specialist; Independent Duty Postal Clerk; Logistics Manager; Logistics Specialist; Logistics Specialist (Submarine); Logistics Specialist Postal Basic (BL-1); Postal Clerk; Postal Officer
Administration; Administration Apprentice; Administration Craftsman; Administration Helper; Administration Journeyman; Administration Manager; Administration Superintendent; Courier
What they do:Perform any combination of tasks in a United States Postal Service (USPS) post office, such as receive letters and parcels; sell postage and revenue stamps, postal cards, and stamped envelopes; fill out and sell money orders; place mail in pigeon holes of mail rack or in bags; and examine mail for correct postage. Includes postal service clerks employed by USPS contractors.
On the job, you would:
- Weigh letters and parcels, compute mailing costs based on type, weight, and destination, and affix correct postage.
- Check mail to ensure correct postage and that packages and letters are in proper condition for mailing.
- Sort incoming and outgoing mail, according to type and destination, by hand or by operating electronic mail-sorting and scanning devices.
- customer service
- administrative services
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Operating system software
- Microsoft Windows
- Budgeting software
Point of sale POS software
- NCR Advanced Store
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Mail Clerks & Mail Machine Operators
- Order Clerks
- Postal Service Mail Carriers
- Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, & Processing Machine Operators
- Shipping, Receiving, & Inventory Clerks
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about postal service clerks.