Mail Clerks & Mail Machine Operators
Mail Clerk, Mail Handler, Mail Machine Operator, Postal Clerk
see titles from the Air Force, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Administration; Administration Apprentice; Administration Craftsman; Administration Helper; Administration Journeyman; Administration Superintendent; Knowledge Management; Knowledge Management Apprentice; Knowledge Management Craftsman; Knowledge Management Helper; Knowledge Management Journeyman
Inventory Management Specialist; Postal Clerk
Logistics Specialist; Logistics Specialist (Submarine); Postal Worker; Yeoman; Yeoman (Submarine)
What they do:
Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, read, sort, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, stamp, fold, stuff, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
On the job, you would:
- Wrap packages or bundles by hand, or by using tying machines.
- Verify that items are addressed correctly, marked with the proper postage, and in suitable condition for processing.
- Remove containers of sorted mail or parcels and transfer them to designated areas according to established procedures.
Arts and Humanities
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- reading work related information
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- put together small parts with your fingers
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
- Email software
- Microsoft Outlook
Data base user interface and query software
- Microsoft Access
- Recordkeeping software
high school diploma/GED or
no high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
- Coil Winders, Tapers, & Finishers
- Inspectors, Testers, Sorters, Samplers, & Weighers
- Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, & Processing Machine Operators
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Shipping, Receiving, & Traffic Clerks
You might like a career in one of these industries: