Rail-Track Laying & Maintenance Equipment Operators
Track Inspector, Track Laborer, Track Maintainer, Track Repairer
see titles from the Air Force or Army.
Pavements and Construction Equipment; Pavements and Construction Equipment Apprentice; Pavements and Construction Equipment Craftsman; Pavements and Construction Equipment Helper; Pavements and Construction Equipment Journeyman
Cannon Crewmember; Cavalry Scout; Railway Specialist (USAR only); Wheeled Vehicle Repairer
What they do:
Lay, repair, and maintain track for standard or narrow-gauge railroad equipment used in regular railroad service or in plant yards, quarries, sand and gravel pits, and mines. Includes ballast cleaning machine operators and railroad bed tamping machine operators.
On the job, you would:
- Patrol assigned track sections so that damaged or broken track can be located and reported.
- Repair or adjust track switches, using wrenches and replacement parts.
- Weld sections of track together, such as switch points and frogs.
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- see hidden patterns
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
- imagine how something will look after it is moved around or changed
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Office suite software
Time accounting software