Rail Car Repairers
Rail Car Mechanic, Rail Car Repairer, Rail Car Repairman, Rail Car Welder
- Record conditions of cars, and repair and maintenance work performed or to be performed.
- Inspect components such as bearings, seals, gaskets, wheels, and coupler assemblies to determine if repairs are needed.
- Repair or replace defective or worn parts such as bearings, pistons, and gears, using hand tools, torque wrenches, power tools, and welding equipment.
Engineering and Technology
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- figuring out what is causing equipment, machines, wiring, or computer programs to not work
- repairing machines or systems using the right tools
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
- see hidden patterns
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Internet browser software
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
certificate after high school
Get started on your career: