Electrical Power-Line Installers & Repairers
Electrical Lineman, Lineworker, Power Lineman, Service Man
Select a military branch to see samples.
Cable and Antenna Systems; Cable and Antenna Systems Apprentice; Cable and Antenna Systems Craftsman; Cable and Antenna Systems Helper; Cable and Antenna Systems Journeyman; Electrical Systems; Electrical Systems Apprentice; Electrical Systems Craftsman; Electrical Systems Helper; Electrical Systems Journeyman
Cannon Crewmember; Combat Engineer; Construction Engineering Technician; Powerline Distribution Specialist (RC); Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic
Damage Controlman; Electrician's Mate; Material Maintenance Specialty; Naval Engineering Specialty
Electrician; Network Transport Technician
Advanced Construction Electrician; Cable Splicing Technician; Construction Electrician; Conversion NEC CE Construction Electrician Basic; Electrician's Mate; Electricians Mate, Nuclear Power; Electronics Technician, Nuclear Power; Gas Turbine Electrical Systems Maintainer; Gas Turbine Electrical Systems Technician; Gas Turbine System Technician (Electrical)
Cable and Antenna Systems; Cable and Antenna Systems Apprentice; Cable and Antenna Systems Craftsman; Cable and Antenna Systems Helper; Cable and Antenna Systems Journeyman
What they do:Install or repair cables or wires used in electrical power or distribution systems. May erect poles and light or heavy duty transmission towers.
On the job, you would:
- Adhere to safety practices and procedures, such as checking equipment regularly and erecting barriers around work areas.
- Drive vehicles equipped with tools and materials to job sites.
- Open switches or attach grounding devices to remove electrical hazards from disturbed or fallen lines or to facilitate repairs.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
- Email software
- Microsoft Outlook
Video conferencing software
Computer aided design CAD software
- Bentley MicroStation
- Computer aided design and drafting CADD software
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Electrical & Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, & Relay
- Hoist & Winch Operators
- Telecommunications Line Installers & Repairers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about electrical power-line installers and repairers.